How to Make a Split Screen Video on Windows and Mac
We often need to create split-screen videos to place two videos side by side for our school or college projects or for our business presentations. Making split-screen videos is a fun task only if you make use of a split-screen video maker. Different from those video editing software packages that simply merge video files together, a feature-packed split-screen video maker might contain the option of splitting the screen for displaying two or multiple clips in one screen at the same time.
Before making your split screen video:
- You’d better have a plan and write your script before you start. And make sure you have all the clips you need before editing your videos.
- The clips used for the picture in picture video should not contain too many activities in them because it might distract the viewers.
So with that being said, let us look at the video editors that support this feature:
Adobe Premiere Pro is a cool video editor that enables you to split your screen into two, three, four or more. Not only that, but you can also add some special effects, filters, borders and animate to the split screen videos.
- It is quite easy to make multiple videos in one screen using this video editor.
- You get a seven days trial period for free during which you can master the art of making split-screen videos.
- Several effects and alignment options are available using which you can display all the desired part of the video in a limited space.
- It is compatible with both Windows and MacOS. It supports Windows 7 and later versions and similarly it supports Mac 10.11 and later versions.
- It is not a free video editing software.
- To use this video editor perfectly, a person much have some prior experience of video editing.
How to make a split-screen video using Adobe Premiere Pro:
- Step 1. Firstly, you will have to import the videos that are to be used on the Adobe Premiere Pro. You can access the drag-and-drop option to pull all the clips from a folder of your PC to the timeline to make a sequence as per your requirements.
- Step 2. After that, you will have to trim the videos so as to make them have the same length. It is necessary to make their length remains the same as you would want them to play simultaneously at once.
- Step 3. You can even remove the audio if you do not want the original sound or audio in the split videos. Now, you can choose the position and proportion of the screen that you want your first video to occupy.
- Step 4. For splitting the screen in 50-50 proportion, you will have to modify 960 to 1920 by updating the position category. You can also check the preview to check if the videos have been split in the 50:50 portion. If not, go to the “Effects” editing panel and select the “Crop” effect that can be found below the “Transform” option.
- Step 5. Now, just drag the crop option on the timeline and place it over the first video. After cropping the video correctly, you can use the position alignment slider to make the finer adjustments and then you can save the applied changes in the alignment.
- Step 6. Next, you can repeat the above steps to make changes in the remaining videos in the sequence. You can also watch the below video tutorial which show you how to make multiple screen videos and how to add borders and animate to the split-screen videos.
Video Converter Studio is an almighty video editor that can be used to covert videos/audios, download videos and even make split screen videos. The reason why we recommend this editor is that it features 19 types of split screen styles, so even a newbie can make multiple screen videos with ease.
- It provides many split screen styles, and the size of each screen can be adjusted.
- It enables you to apply different filters and add background music to the split-screen video.
- It is a compatible split-screen video editor for Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 2003, Windows XP, and all the Windows OS that came after XP.
- It does not support Linux and MACOS.
Now it’s the time to get started to make multiple videos in one screen with this tool:
- Step 1. Launch the program on your computer.
- Step 2. Head to the “Split Screen”tab, select one of the screen styles on the left and then import your videos.
- Step 3. To make your videos look nice on a single screen, you can resize the screen and crop out the unwanted parts.
- Step 4. Finally, you will have to edit the audio. You can mute the sound in the video and then add a new background music to it.
If you are looking for an online editing tool to put videos side by side, you can use the Kapwing editor. It is a free online editor that can be used to create wonderful split-screen videos.
- It is simple and free to use. Almost anyone with a basic knowledge of computers can use this video editor.
- It provides 13 inbuilt templates to create split-screen videos. You can use up to 4 videos for making split-screen videos by using one of these templates.
- There are some inbuilt canvas sizes as per the various social media platforms if you want to create a video for a specific platform like Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
- You are able to use your own image/video as the background of the split-screen video.
- It provides real-time editing options to create amazing split-screen videos.
- The speed of uploading videos is a little bit slow.
- Free users get a watermark on all the edited videos. You will have to pay $6 for each video if you do not want the watermark in videos or you will have to choose a monthly subscription that will cost them $20 for creating unlimited split-screen videos without a watermark.
Follow this process to create split-screen videos online using Kapwing:
- Step 1. Open this Video collage tool, and choose one of the templates to begin. You can also customize with a blank canvas or your own photo/video by clicking “Get Started”.
- Step 2. After that, you can choose a canvas of a preferred size.
- Step 3. Now, you can click Upload to import your videos one by one. After that, position the videos side-by-side by using the aspect ratio or by simply moving them dragging them near each other.
- Step 4. Now, you can add text to the videos, change the background color, and trim the length of the videos as per your requirements. Once you are done with all the editing work, you can save this picture in picture video or share it with your friends by sharing its URL.
Above are the three best split-screen video editors that can be used to put multiple videos into one screen. You can let us know your feedback and queries by using the comments section.