How to Recover Deleted SMS/iMessages on iPhone or iPad
Message app on iPhone plays important role in our life and work, such as social contact, business communication, or daily notes. Also, iOS users can send iMessages to communicate free of charge while connected to WiFi. Secure as iPhone, however, your device may malfunction at times and lose precious data hence. It is highly recommended to learn one or more methods to recover deleted text messages on iPhone lost due to accidental deletion, iOS upgrade failure, software crash or something bad. Keep reading to learn 3 methods on how to recover deleted text messages/iMessages on iPhone below:
- Method 1. Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone or iPad without Backup
- Method 2. Retrieve Deleted iMessages/SMS on iPhone from iCloud Backup
- Method 2. Recover Deleted iMessages/SMS on iPhone from iTunes Backup
Method 1. Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone or iPad without Backup
This method should be applied when you have no iTunes or iCloud backup available. You can choose a professional iPhone SMS recovery software to retrieve deleted text messages from iPhone or iPad. In consideration of stability and completeness, Gihosoft iPhone Data Recovery is a perfect choice. This software is powerful on recovering iPhone data and works well with the newest iPhone X, 8/8 Plus, 7/7 Plus, SE, 6S/6S Plus, 6/6 Plus, iPad Pro, iPad Air 3/2, iPad mini 4/2, etc. Please install this program to your computer and launch it, then follow steps below to retrieve deleted messages from iPhone.
- Step 1. Select “Messages” that you need to recover.
- Step 2. Connect your iPhone to computer via USB cord.
- Step 3. Scan for deleted text messages on your iPhone.
- Step 4. Preview and recover deleted messages on iPhone.
Method 2. Retrieve Deleted iMessages/SMS on iPhone from iCloud Backup
This method requires iCloud backup for your iPhone. You can restore iPhone from iCloud directly, but it merely restores the messages that have been backed up yet will wipe the existing messages and other data. Therefore to avoid the risk of losing any data, Gihosoft iPhone Recovery software also provides you a safer and easier way to retrieve deleted text messages/iMessages from iCloud backup.
- Run iPhone SMS Recovery on computer and select “Messages”.
- Click on “View iCloud Backup” and sign in with Apple ID.
- Check the date of backups and select the latest one to scan.
- After scanning, preview and recover deleted messages on iPhone.
Method 3. Recover Deleted iMessages/SMS on iPhone from iTunes Backup
This method requires iTunes backup for your iPhone. You can restore iPhone from iTunes directly, but it also restores the messages that have been backed up and will wipe the existing messages along with other data off your iPhone. If you want to check the backup first and extract messages from iTunes backup only, Gihosoft iPhone Recovery is also able to recover messages from iTunes. Please follow steps below.
- Open iPhone SMS Recovery and select “Messages”.
- Click “View iTunes Backup” and select a backup for scanning.
- Preview and restore SMS/iMessages from iTunes backup.
Gihosoft iPhone Recovery software works great to retrieve deleted text messages/iMessages or other data from iPhone with/without backup. For more tips, please refer to how to recover deleted contacts on iPhone, or recover deleted WhatsApp messages from iPhone, etc.