How to Recover Deleted SMS/iMessages on iPhone or iPad
Message app on iPhone plays important role in our life and work, such as social contact, business communication, or daily notes. Also, users can send iMessages via it to communicate free of charge while connected to WiFi. Secure as iPhone, however, your device may malfunction at times and lose these precious data hence. It is highly recommended to learn one or more methods to recover deleted text messages on iPhone lost due to accidental deletion, iOS upgrade failure, software crash or something bad. Keep reading to learn 4 methods on how to recover deleted text messages/iMessages on iPhone below:
- Method 1. Recover Deleted SMS/iMessages on iPhone Using iTunes
- Method 2. Retrieve Deleted SMS/iMessages on iPhone Using iCloud
- Method 3. Recover Deleted Messages on iPhone Using Third-Party Tool
- Method 4. Combing Third-Party Recovery Tool and iTunes Backup
Method 1. Recover Deleted SMS/iMessages on iPhone Using iTunes
This method requires iTunes backup for your iPhone. It can only restore the messages that have been backed up and will wipe the existing messages along with other data on your iPhone. Please follow steps below.
1. Disable automatic sync option in iTunes
Open iTunes on your computer. Go to “Edit > Preferences > Devices”, tick “Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically”. Click “OK” to save changes.
2. Connect iPhone to computer via USB cord
It may take a short time for iTunes to recognize the connected iPhone. When it is done, you’ll see iPhone icon below menu bar.
3. Restore SMS/iMessages from iTunes backup
In iTunes, go to “File > Devices > Restore from Backup”, choose a backup to restore. It will take a while to restore messages, and other backed up data to your iPhone.
Method 2. Retrieve Deleted SMS/iMessages on iPhone Using iCloud
This method requires iCloud backup for your iPhone. It can also restore the messages that have been backed up and will wipe the existing messages and other data. It can be done without PC.
1. Erase your iPhone
In iPhone, go to “Settings > General > Reset”, tap “Erase all contents and settings”. When it is done, your iPhone will restart.
2. Set up iPhone
Follow the on-screen prompts to set up your iPhone again.
3. Restore SMS/iMessages from iCloud backup
On “Set up your iPhone” screen (or “App & Data” on iPhone 6S), choose “Restore from iCloud Backup”. Sign in iCloud with the same account that was used to make the backup. Then, choose a backup to restore.
Method 3. Recover Deleted Messages on iPhone Using Third-Party Tool
This method should be applied when you have no iTunes or iCloud backup available. You can choose a professional iPhone SMS recovery software to retrieve deleted text messages from iPhone or iPad. In consideration of stability and completeness, Gihosoft Free iPhone Data Recovery is a perfect choice. This freeware works well with the newest iPhone X, 8/8 Plus, 7/7 Plus, SE, 6S/6S Plus, 6/6 Plus, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4/2, etc. Please install this program to your computer and launch it, then follow steps below.
- Step 1. Select “Messages” that you need to recover.
- Step 2. Connect your iPhone to computer via USB cord.
- Step 3. Scan the data on your iPhone.
- Step 4. Preview and recover deleted messages on iPhone.
This iPhone Recovery freeware works great to retrieve deleted text messages/iMessages or other data from iPhone without backup. For more tips, please refer to how to restore contacts on iPhone, or recover deleted WhatsApp messages from iPhone, etc.
Method 4. Combing Third-Party Recovery Tool and iTunes Backup
This method should be applied when your iPhone is lost or stolen, while the iTunes backup is available. Gihosoft iPhone SMS Recovery can help you extract messages from iTunes backup.
- Run the program and tick “Messages” and “Messages Attachments”.
- Click “Next” and skip the connecting step.
- Select a backup from the box and click “Next” to scan.
- When the scanning is done, preview recoverable messages.
- Click “Recover” button and save data to computer.
Compare to restore iPhone from iTunes directly, this method enables preview before recovery and allows you to recover messages only.