How to Trim the Middle of a Video on Windows and Mac Computer
No matter you are a digital marketer or a YouTuber, video trimming is particularly important when you are making a video, because nearly all video clips you use contain unwanted elements. Cutting video is also significant in your daily life. For instance, you may want to trim an important clip from a large educational video for future use or trim the middle of a big video file to share on social platforms.
Thus, to share with the audience the most interesting part of your video without losing their attention in the first five seconds of your video, you need to trim your video. So in today’s article, you will learn how to cut a video in half on Windows and Mac computer without losing quality.
#1 Gihosoft Free Video Cutter: Easy Way to Trim Video Clips
Gihosoft Free Video Cutter is a lightweight video editing software, which specializes in helping users trim any part of a video on Windows and Mac without losing quality. One of the best parts of this software is that it is a totally freeware without any adware or malware, and there is no watermark in the output videos.
Gihosoft Free Video Cutter is able to cut out a section of a YouTube video, movie, MP4, etc. with faster processing speed and save the edited video in the same file format so that the quality of the video is maintained. And this free video cutter software supports processing videos and audios in all popular formats including FLV, AVI, MP4, MOV, WAV, MP3 and more. What’s more, this software can also be used to join multiple videos into a large video file for free.
Here are the steps to quickly cut video with this free video cutter:
- Step 1. Download and install this software through the link above. After that, run the program.
- Step 2. Just simply click on the “Add Files” to import a video file you want to trim.
- Step 3. Next, you need to set the start point and end point by adjusting the two sliders. Also, you can manually enter the start and end times to cut the video in half. When everything is okay, you need to proceed by clicking on the “Cut” button.
- Step 4. Once the process is completed, you can access and check the trimmed clip by clicking on the “Open Folder” button in the pop-up window.
#2 Movavi Video Editor: Quickly Cut Video
As a comprehensive video editing software for PC and Mac, Movavi helps users edit videos in a professional way. Of course, this program is also good for basic video editing such as video trimming. It enables you to split and trim videos in any video formats like AVI, MP4, FLV, and etc. Movavi offers a 7 days free trial, however it adds watermark in the produced videos.
Here are the steps to trim a video on computer using this video editor:
- Step 1. Download and run the program on your computer. Then just click on the “Add media files” button to add your desired video.
- Step 2. Once you can see the video on the timeline, use the red marker on the timeline to move and pinpoint the exact spot that you want to trim your video. When you find the exact splitting point, just click on the “Split” button.
- Step 3. Next, you need to delete the unwanted section of the video by selecting it and hitting the “Delete” button on your keyboard.
- Step 4. Finally, click the “Export” button to save the trimmed video clip.
#3 How to Trim Video in VLC Media Player
If you have already had VLC Media Player on your device, then you don’t have to install extra software on your computer, because this player already offers the simple solution for you to trim videos on computer. Actually, VLC can’t cut a video directly, but its Record feature enables you to capture a certain part from the video. However, one of its biggest drawbacks is that it won’t let you preview or check the trimmed video before saving.
Let’s see how to trim video in VLC player with its Record feature:
- Step 1. Open the VLC Media Player and enable the Advanced Controls feature. To do this, you should navigate to View > Advanced Controls. After that, you can find the Record button and three more control buttons appear below the progress bar.
- Step 2. In case you couldn’t find the generated recording files, first you have to choose where to save them by going to the Tools menu > Preferences > Input/Codecs > Files > Record directory or filenames. Although this step is not mandatory, it will save you time for the future.
- Step 3. Next, drag and drop your video to the VLC Media Player.
- Step 4. Then, drag the slider to the point where you want to start trimming the video. So let’s say if you want to trim the middle of a video, just drag the slider to the middle of the video. Then click on the Record and Play buttons to initiate the video cutting process.
- Step 5. Let the video play to the point where you want to end, then click on the Record button again to finish the cutting process, and the recording will be saved automatically.
Video trimming is essential for video editors, visual content producers, and digital marketers. It is also beneficial for personal use – e.g. trimming the video to remove the unwanted sections like watermark from the video. So a useful video trimmer is needed.
There are many video editors that you can use for trimming video. When it comes to trim videos on Windows and Mac computer without losing quality, the aforementioned tools are reliable and easy-to-use. Good Luck!