For iOS 13 Update: How to Backup Your iPhone to Windows or Mac Computer
Recently, Apple unveils the new iOS operating system for iPhone – iOS 13, which has neoteric features and designs. iPhone users across the globe are waiting for upgrading their iPhone system to iOS 13. But sometimes the iOS upgrade may cause data loss, so it is a wise choice to back up your iPhone data before you do that.
Many iPhone users will choose the iCloud backup. It keeps your iPhone backup to the cloud. But don’t forget that the iCloud has limited storage space and it takes your money to expand the space. iTunes is another good idea, and it helps back up your iPhone to the computer. In this article, besides how to enable iCloud backup, we also introduce how to back up your iPhone to PC or Mac, as well as an extra small tip about how to view iPhone backup on the computer.
- Part 1: How to Create an iCloud Backup for iPhone
- Part 2: How to Backup iPhone to PC/Mac
- Extra Tips: How to View iTunes Backup on Computer
Part 1: How to Create an iCloud Backup for iPhone
iCloud provides up to 2 TB of storage to the users, and your first 5GB are free. iCloud always encrypts your backups automatically and allows you to create and access backups from anywhere with Wi-Fi, as long as you have an Apple ID and password. To create an iCloud backup, you need to:
- Step 1: Go to Settings app > tap on [your name] > iCloud.
- Step 2: Navigate to iCloud Backup and click on it.
- Step 3: Switch on the toggle of iCloud Backup, and tap on OK in the pop-up dialog box.
- Step 4: Tap on Back Up Now and wait for the process to be finished.
Please make sure there is a stable network as well as enough space available in the iCloud for backups. When you switch on the toggle of iCloud Backup, your iPhone will automatically back up your data to iCloud when it is unlocked, connected to a power source and on a Wi-Fi network. You can manually create an iCloud backup by tapping on the “Back Up Now” option.
Part 2: How to Backup iPhone to PC/Mac
1. Back Up iPhone to PC or Mac with iTunes
Backing up your iPhone to iTunes creates a copy of nearly all the data on your iPhone and stores it on your Mac or PC. iTunes backup is an alternative backup to the iCloud backup in case you lose your information on iPhone when your iPhone is replaced, lost or broken. Before getting started, please make sure you have updated iTunes on your computer to the latest version.
- Connect your iPhone to the PC or Mac using a USB cable and open iTunes.
- After iTunes recognize your iPhone, click on the device icon at the top left of the interface.
- Tick “This Computer” under the Backups section.
- If you want to back up the account passwords and Health and Homekit data, check the small box next to “Encrypt local backup”.
- Click on the “Back Up Now” button to start backing up your iPhone.
2. Backup iPhone to Computer via Gihosoft iPhone Data Recovery
Using iTunes is an easy way to backup your iPhone to the computer, and you can back up your iPhone with one click. But that is both its merit and its defect. It doesn’t allow iPhone users to selectively backup the data on the iPhone to the computer. Moreover, if you restore your iPhone from iTunes backup, the existing data on your iPhone will be overwritten.
To make up for such a defect, we recommend a third-party software called Gihosoft iPhone Data Recovery to you. It is an iPhone data recovery tool which helps you recover your accidentally deleted or lost data from your device, iTunes backup, and iCloud backup. It can also help you save both the existing data and deleted data on your iPhone like photos, contacts, notes, and many more to the PC or Mac computer as a backup in 3 steps.
- Install this software on your PC or Mac and launch it. Check the file types you want to back up, and click on the “Next” button.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer via a USB cable, and click on the “Next” button to start scanning.
- All the existing or deleted data on your iPhone will be sorted out in lists, and you can click each category to preview them. Check the data you want to backup, and click on the “Recover” button to save them to your computer.
Extra Tips: How to View iPhone Backups on Computer
iTunes is the most commonly used approach to backup iPhone to Windows PC or Mac computer. As time goes on, more and more iTunes backup files pile up in your computer and eat lots of storage space of your PC or Mac, especially the disk C. Therefore, besides regularly backing up iPhone to iTunes, you also need to regularly clear old backups.
However, iTunes backups on the computer are encrypted file fragments and not human-readable. Many iPhone users worry that some essential data will be deleted mistakenly. For this reason, you can resort to a third–party software to help you preview iTunes backup. Gihosoft iManager is typically recommended to you. It is a professional tool which helps you easily manage and view old iTunes backups on your computer. It also allows you to extract data from iTunes backup to the computer selectively. To view iTunes backup on the computer, please follow the steps below.
- Step 1: Install this program on your computer and open it. Once you open it, all the existing iTunes backups (encrypted or not) on your computer will be presented to you on the left sidebar of iManager.
- Step 2: Select one iTunes backup, and then click on the icon of the file type you want to view. All the data related to that file type in iTunes backup you select will show up on the interface.
With Gihosoft iManager, you can preview each of the iTunes backups on your PC or Mac and delete the old ones without worrying about accidental deleting essential data. If you have some crucial data like photos and contacts in the iTunes backup you want to clear, you can select them and click the “Export” option at the top of the interface to extract them to your computer.
To prevent the data loss after iOS upgrade failure, iPhone users should trigger an iPhone backup in advance, so that they can get back some significant data like precious photos and important contacts when the data loss happens. You can choose to backup your iPhone to iCloud. But allowing for its limited storage space, you can also choose to backup your iPhone to your PC or Mac computer via iTunes or third-party software. We hope this article is helpful to you. Any of your queries or suggestions are welcomed in the comment section.