How to Restore iPhone from iTunes Backup 2019
Sometimes the iPhone data loss can be caused by accidental deletion, factory settings, virus attack, etc. If you have the habit of backing up your data regularly, the data loss issue can be easily solved. iTunes and iCloud are the most common backup methods. More iPhone users prefer to use iTunes for iPhone data backup, as the iTunes backup is on the computer, and there are fewer limitations for storage space. In fact, to restore the iPhone from iTunes backup is not the best choice to get back lost data, but in some particular cases, it is of great use. Read through this article to learn how to restore iPhone from iTunes backup, as well as when should you do so, how to preview an iTunes backup.
- Part 1: When Should You Restore From iTunes Backup
- Part 2: What to Do Before Restoring iPhone from a Backup
- Part 3: How to Restore iPhone From iTunes Backup
- Part 4: How Long Does It Take to Restore iPhone From iTunes Backup
- Bonus Tip: How to Recover Deleted Files in an iTunes Backup
When Should You Restore From iTunes Backup
An iTunes backup includes nearly all the data and settings of your iPhone, except your Face ID or Touch ID Settings, Apple Pay information and settings, Apple Mail data, data already stored in iCloud, content from iTunes and Apple Store, etc. It is of great use to back up your iPhone to iTunes regularly, as it will do you a big favor when the following cases occur.
- When you change your old iPhone to a new one, restoring the new iPhone from your old iPhone’s iTunes backup helps you keep most of the vital data on the new iPhone.
- Your iPhone has been restored to factory settings. When you forget iPhone passcode or troubleshoot some iPhone issues, you have to restore your iPhone to factory settings. After the factory settings, restoring the iPhone from iTunes backup will reduce the data loss.
- When your iPhone has been lost, stolen or damaged, restoring from iTunes backup is an excellent way to get back the data on the original iPhone.
- If you accidentally delete or lost some crucial data like precious photos or essential contacts on iPhone, it helps you recover them to restore the iPhone from iTunes backup.
What to Do Before Restoring iPhone from a Backup
It is better to preview what is in the iTunes backup before you restore the iPhone from an iTunes backup, especially when you have several backups of different iOS devices on your computer. As you know, iTunes backups are encrypted file fragments, and those files are not human-readable .
In this case, you need to turn to a third-party tool like Gihosoft iManager. This tool helps you easily locate, view, and manage iTunes backup on the computer. It also enables you to extract some files from iTunes backup to your computer selectively. Gihosoft iManager is user-friendly. To preview the iTunes backup, you can follow the steps below.
Step 1: Install and open it on your computer. After that, all the iTunes backup on your computer will be sorted out by date on the interface.
Step 2: Select one iTunes backup, and then click on the icon of the file type you want to preview. All the related files will be presented to you.
If you want to export some files, you can select them and click the “Export” option on the top of the interface to save them to your computer.
How to Restore iPhone From iTunes Backup in Depth
After preview the iTunes backup and decide which one to use, there is still one thing to be done before you restore the iPhone from iTunes backup. You need to disable the “Find My iPhone” feature on your iPhone first. To do so, go to Settings app on iPhone > tap on [your name] > iCloud > Find My iPhone. Switch off the toggle of Find My iPhone. Now you can start with the restoring.
- Step 1: Connect your iPhone to the computer, and run the iTunes.
- Step 2: Click on the iPhone icon, and then the “Summary” option from the pane on the left side.
- Step 3: Click the “Restore Backup” button under the Backups section.
- Step 4: Select the iTunes backup you want from the pop-up window, and click on the “Restore” button.
How Long Does It Take to Restore iPhone From iTunes Backup
Generally, the process of restoring an iPhone from iTunes backup should not take an overlong time. But sometimes it happens that restoring the iPhone from iTunes takes several hours or even 20 hours. Two factors influence the time. One of them is the size of your backup. The larger is the size of your backup, the longer the time it takes to restore the iPhone from iTunes backup. The other one is the network. If your network is unstable, it will take a longer time. If it takes an exceedingly long time to restore the iPhone from iTunes backup, you can try the tips below to fix such a problem.
- Disconnect your iPhone from the computer and reconnect.
- Update the iTunes to the latest version.
- Restart your iPhone or computer.
- Reconnect the network or change to a more stable network.
Bonus Tip: How to Recover Deleted Files from an iTunes Backup.
Sometimes, we clean up the hard drive by deleting files there to save space, but it happens that we accidentally delete part of the important files in one iTunes backup, as we cannot view its content. Fortunately, you can use certain iPhone data recovery software like Gihosoft iPhone Data Recovery to get back the deleted part of an iTunes backup. To do so, you can follow the steps below.
- Step 1: Open this program on your computer and check the small boxes next to the file types you want to recover. If you have no idea what files you deleted, you can check all the file types. Then click on the “Next” button.
- Step 2: Click on the “View iTunes backup” button, all of your iTunes backup files will be listed. Select an iTunes backup file, and click on the “Next” button to start with scanning.
- Step 3: When the scanning is over, you can see all the data related to the file types you checked in the first step. The deleted content is marked by the orange font. Choose the files you want, and click on the “Recover” button to save them to your computer.
It is beneficial to regularly back up iPhone with iTunes, as when you are setting up a new iPhone, or when the data loss happens, it is possible for you to restore the iPhone from iTunes backup. To restore iPhone from iTunes back up will overwrite the existing content of your iPhone. Thus, it is better to preview the iTunes backup on the computer with a third-party tool like Gihosoft iManager, especially when there are too many backups. If you delete some vital part of one iTunes backup unconsciously, you can use an iPhone data Recovery tool to get them back. The operation of iTunes is a little complicated, and we hope this article will help you utilize iTunes better. If you have any queries or suggestions, please leave them in the comment section.