5 Best Apps for Photo Storage on iPhone and iPad in 2020
As iPhone features powerful camera, users tend to capture lovely moments as photos or videos on the device. However, as you keep taking new photos, you will find they have gradually taken up a lot of the iPhone storage space without your knowledge. Since you are not allowed to increase your iPhone storage capacity with an external memory card, you can release more space by uploading your photos to some cloud storage applications. They can save your photos and videos to the cloud server and you can access them at any time.
Here we will introduce 5 best free photo storage apps for iPhone which you can use to back up your photos so that you can delete them from your device.
- 1. iCloud
- 2. Google Photos
- 3. Amazon Photos
- 4. Dropbox
- 5. SmugMug
iCloud is the most commonly used photograph storage application for iPhone users. It is basically developed by Apple.Inc for transferring, backing up and accessing the images and other data on the iPhone. Different from other apps mentioned here, it is directly built inside the iOS Photos app, and only works if you’ve enabled iCloud Photo in iPhone Settings > iCloud > Photos. It’s an optional service working in the background, using your iCloud space for storing photos and videos from your iPhone, while retaining the complete resolutions of those files.
Features of iCloud:
- It allows you to access all of your photos on all your devices like iPhone, iPad, Mac plus Windows PC.
- It provides 5G free space to each user. And if you want to enjoy more space, you need to pay for upgrading your iCloud storage plan, which can be one of the reasons people are looking for third-party cloud storage services.
- Pictures taken with your iOS devices are simply and automatically uploaded to this platform if you have enabled this feature with stable network connection.
- It securely backs up and synchronizes pictures and videos.
- It provides the memories options that create memories using your favorite photos.
- It allows you to simply share photos with your friends and families using the iCloud Shared Albums.
- It enables users to access images in full resolution
- It allows you to look through photos by typing in keywords like mountains, rivers, woods, people, etc.
After uploading photos to iCloud, it’s time to delete them from your device. If you have no idea what to do, don’t miss our previous post on how to delete photos from iPhone but not iCloud.
Google Photos is one of the most common photo storage app for iPhone which solves the storage limit problem of many Apple users, especially when it has to do with storing their pictures. Google Photos for iOS is a free app that makes a smart, simple and limitless means of storing and backing up your iDevice pictures.
Features of Google Photos:
- Google Photos is a platform providing free and unlimited storage space for images and videos. It is capable to store images up to 1080p HD and 16 megapixels without the loss in the quality.
- It is featured with visual Search which allows you to look through your photos by the people, things or places in them, without having to tag.
- You can instantly send up to 1,500 photos from the app, in a few seconds.
- It creates movies, panoramas, collages and GIFs from your pictures, and conjointly allows you to create them yourself (custom created movies).
- It provides wonderful photograph and video editing options and filters that assist you to transform your photos creatively.
- It creates automatic albums along with your best shots after an event or a visit, and additionally invite others to feature their own photos also.
- It allows you to look at your photos and videos on your TV via Chrome cast and Airplay.
- It provides collages of images taken in time past (perfect for throwbacks).
If you are already an Amazon Prime subscriber, Amazon Photos app is your perfect choice for photo storage. This application gives unlimited full-resolution photo storage and 5GB video storage to Prime members. And if you are not a Prime subscriber, you’ll only get 5GB for photos and videos.
Features of Amazon Photos:
- You can set this app to upload your photos from your iPhone automatically.
- You can add your photos to the Family Vault so that your family and friends can access them.
- You can also use the Group feature to share your images with more people.
- The app sorts your pictures by the date embedded in their metadata.
- You can easily find the photos you want by keyword, location, the name of the person in the photo or the things in the image.
- You can order prints, calendars and more from Amazon Photos.
- This photo storage app is supported on iPhone, Android, tablet, or computer.
Dropbox is a powerful cloud storage app for iPhone. It is a known storage app for iPhone that stores and shares all types of files, and it’s wonderful for keeping your photos safe, secure and simple to access. it’s ideal for each individual, and business use.
Features of Dropbox:
- You can save and access your photos from any place, on a phone, tablet, or PC.
- Changes created on one device would automatically synchronize across all of your Dropbox devices.
- You can send files to anyone anyplace, whether they have a Dropbox account or not, with share links.
- You can transform your files into a gorgeous page with Showcase, and share these showcases with friends, colleagues, clients, etc., and additionally, keep tab of who had seen what.
- It comes with security features that assist you to control who can access your files, allows you to wipe memory and knowledge in case of device loss, and simply recover files once needed.
- Dropbox Business helps you organize your organization’s data in a central place, with admin controls to secure access to information, and track team actions.
It is a lovely photo storage app for iPhone. Looking for an attractive way to save, view or share photos as well as video files on your iPhone? Then SmugMug could be a good choice for you by offering optimum access to your pictures during a flash. Along with that, uploading photos from your iPhone to your SmugMug gallery is super easy and simple.
Features of SmugMug:
- You can upload an unlimited number of images and video files from iPhone to this app.
- You can save your SmugMug gallery onto your device to access your photos even without the internet.
- It also allows you to browse through your photos right from the app.
- You can mark your favourite ones and manage them as folders.
- You can share your photos and video files by SMS or social media accounts via a snap.
- You can follow different SmugMug users, and find your friends and families right within the community.
- SmugMug extension allows you to transfer photos directly from camera roll, SMS and different apps.
Bonus: Best Way to Backup Photos from iPhone to External Drive
Instead of cloud storage services, some users also want to backup your iPhone photos to an external drive like removable USB stick, flash drive, or portable hard disk, etc. If you have lots of pictures on your iPhone, here we recommend you to use Gihosoft iPhone Manager to selectively backup your photos from iPhone to external drive or computer in one click. It also supports to backup your contacts, messages, WhatsApp, notes, videos and more data. This software is fully compatible with the latest iOS 13/iPadOS and iPhone 11/11 Pro.
Here is how to backup iPhone photos to external drive:
- Step 1: Download, install and open this iPhone photo backup app on your computer.
- Step 2: Connect your iPhone to the computer via a USB cable.
- Step 3: Once your device is detected, click Change Backup Location to make the backup saved to an external drive. Then click Backup Now.
- Step 4: When the backup process is completed, click the Photos icon to view the details.
We are living in a digital world where we can keep all our memories digitally in form of photos and videos. When the limited space of iPhone cannot meet the need to store more photos, the photo storage apps are a boon for iPhone users. These apps upload your photos to the cloud server so you don’t need to worry about losing them due to the damaged or lost device. All these 5 apps for photo storage on iPhone will greatly help you to backup your photos. BTW, if you accidentally lose your iPhone photos, you can recover them using Gihosoft Free iPhone Data Recovery even if there is no backup available. If you have any query, feel free to post your comment below.