How to Transfer Old WhatsApp Messages to New Android/iPhone
Many people love WhatsApp so much that they would like to take the chat history with them when switching to a new phone, no matter an Android or iPhone. It is understandable, actually, since we’ve heavily relied on it for communicating with families, friends,workmates and others. Then how to do the switch for WhatsApp data? Here are 3 solutions covering different situations. Please notice that they won’t work if you change to a new number.
- Transfer WhatsApp Messages from Android to Android Free
- Transfer WhatsApp Messages from iPhone to iPhone Free
- Transfer WhatsApp Messages between Android and iPhone
Transfer WhatsApp Messages from Android to Android Free
Option 1: Transfer WhatsApp Messages between Android via Local Backup
1. Back up WhatsApp to local storage on old Android
Run WhatsApp on the old Android, tap menu button, go to “Settings > Chats and calls > Chat backup” and tap “Back up chats”.
2. Copy WhatsApp Backup folder to the new Android
Find WhatsApp backup folder on your old Android. It could be in internal memory or external SD card. You can check it with file manager app on your phone or PC.
- If it is in the external SD card and your new phone also has SD-card slot, just take the card out and insert it into the new phone.
- If your new phone has no SD-card slot, then copy WhatsApp folder from the old phone internal memory or SD card to the root folder of your new phone. You can do the move on a computer.
After that, install WhatsApp on your new Android. During the installation process, WhatsApp will detect the backup and allow you to restore after verifying phone number. Once restored, you’ll see the conversation all on your new phone.
Option 2: Transfer WhatsApp Messages between Android via Google Drive
Make sure that the available space in Google Drive is enough and Google Play services must be installed on your phone.
1. Back up WhatsApp chat history to Google Drive
Open WhatsApp, go to “Settings > Chats > Chat backup”. Tap on “Back up to Google Drive” and choose the backup frequency.
Transfer WhatsApp Messages from iPhone to iPhone Free
1. Back up WhatsApp chats to iCloud
Run WhatsApp on the old iPhone, go to “Settings > Chats > Chat Backup”, tap “Back Up Now”. When it is done, you’ll see date and size of this backup.
2. Restore WhatsApp from iCloud backup
Install WhatsApp on your new iPhone. After verifying phone number, which should be the same as the one you used to make backup, you’ll be allowed to restore chat history.
Transfer WhatsApp Messages and Media between Android and iPhone
Backuptrans Android iPhone WhatsApp Transfer+ is a powerful tool for moving WhatApp messages and pictures between Android and iPhone. Please download and install the program to your computer, then follow steps below:
- Step 1. Connect Android and iPhone to PC via USB and follow the on-screen prompts on PC and mobile phone.
- Step 2. When the two devices are recognized by the program, preview and make sure all conversations are there.
- Step 3. Right click the device name and choose a transfer option to transfer WhatsApp.
This program makes it very convenient to move WhatsApp data between Android and iPhone devices, but please notice that it is a charging software. If you want to move WhatsApp messages for free, check out the method below.
Transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android:
- Open WhatsApp in iPhone and go to “Settings > Chat Setting > Email chat.
- Select WhatsApp messages and optionally choose “Without Media” or “Attach Media”.
- Enter an email address and send the messages. Then sign in the email on your Android phone. You’ll see the messages there.
By this way, you can also transfer WhatsApp messages from Android device to iPhone, but you’re not able to have the conversations synced to your newly-installed WhatsApp application.